Skip to main content

Shooting with a Vermeer Curved Plane Pinhole Camera

 One of the things I enjoy about shooting film is using cameras that were designed before the digital era, built out of nice materials, and meant to be nice to look at, simple to use, and durable. 

So when I found out about Vermeer cameras, I immediately wanted to try one out. 

Cezary Bartczak makes them by hand in Poland, out of wood, metal, copper, and each piece is numbered. The cameras, which come in blue or brown, are absolutely beautiful, and would look great in anyone's collection even as an object to display. 


The Vermeer Curved Plane Medium Format Camera


The pinhole lens


The beautiful, metallic knobs on top of the Vermeer Curved Plane Camera



The numbered plate at the back, hiding the photo numbers window.


And while many people out there think film cameras are not being manufactured anymore, the Vermeer cameras offer a good counterargument. 

Rather than giving money to camera manufacturers such as Canon or Sony, which perpetuate a business model based on planned obsolescence and the progressive destruction of the environment, buying a camera made out of wood in 2020 has something a bit revolutionary about it. 

I bought the Vermeer camera around two years ago, and didn't immediately use it; my cameras were in one house, my film in another, then I moved... and then the pandemic struck, which gave me plenty of time while in lockdown to finally use it.

Although the instructions provided with the camera are very clear, I broke the film after loading it the very first time:


You have to be really careful to advance the film using both knobs at the same time, since the plane the film goes along is curved. Therefore, the "back" part of the camera the film moves along is more of a guide than a support for the film.

I taped the roll back together and I was in business.

Given the very panoramic aspect of the photos, you only get 4 pictures per roll. In my case, I got three because of the small accident at loading.


Since the exposure times can range between 1/8 of a second to 6 hours, you'll definitely want to use a tripod and take your time to compose, and expose your shot.

The neighborhood I live in isn't particularly exciting for photography (I know, ironic), but this VW Beetle is always parked near my house and was a good subject to try out the camera.



In this photo, I kinda wish I didn't get the silver car in the shot, but the camera shoots so wide it's kind of difficult to know exactly what its field of view is. I think it still turned out pretty good.

I am satisfied with the results and will probably use it again, and more often. It takes some planning and some time to use it, and is not convenient to carry, especially attached to a tripod, but it's really exciting, and you can shoot through a whole roll really fast. 

I want to try using filters, anamorphic lenses and multiple exposure in my next rolls... keep an eye on my Instagram and Flickr accounts where I will post them.

Cezary sells his cameras on Etsy and eBay.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Replacing the leather on a Kodak No1A Series III Autographic camera

 When I obtained the old Kodak camera, built around 1920-30, in 2020, roughly a hundred years later give or take, it wasn't in great shape. (I'm saying "obtained" because I didn't buy it knowingly, I bought a camera lot and it happened to come with it). The leather cover was very worn, and the outside as well as the inside of the camera was really dirty and grimy. I had no idea how to proceed, but I knew it was possible, so the thought that I could try and replace the leather covers of the camera to give it a new look, a new life, and possibly feel rewarded by the experience started to appear at the back of my head. I had bought replacement leather covers for my cameras before, from a store that sells precut leather stickers, but I had never been able to remove the old leathers (the timer screw on the Pentax ME super just won't come off), and I felt pretty stressed out thinking I might destroy one of my favorite SLRs. But here, the camera had no emotional or f

The medium format camera Zenobia in its Gold Edition

  Browsing the eBay listings, I came upon a medium format foldable camera for which I saw great potential... for being upgraded. Indeed, it seems that every single Medium Format camera of the brand "Zenobia" that I came across have all more or less suffered a similar fate: the leather coverings are chipping and falling off (a similar fate is found on Semi Leotax models and maybe some others).  But what a fantastic opportunity to replace the dying material with brand new clothes! Zenobia before Restoration pt 1 After cleaning the camera, the idea crossed my mind to simply use it as such... but I quickly discarded the idea, as the camera's body was very sharp and very cold... Something strange was discovered when peeling off the old "skin": the makers had used a piece of Japanese newspaper between the leather and the metal of the camera's back. Or maybe this was a way for people during the war to exchange super secret messages? But since the camera was bui

Building a micro anamorphic setup for the Pentax Q

My project was to build two light anamorphic setups - one for my Pentax Auto 110, which I really love, and one for the Pentax Q, which I never use but does yield decent results in the "digital aesthetics" field.  Since the project didn't work out for the Pentax Auto 110 for now, I will share the more successful results of the Pentax Q. This was the base idea: Find a filter that can be screwed onto the best zoom lens (to avoid cropping) Remove the glass from this filter to keep the ring with the thread Replace the glass with a donut-shaped piece of wood or cardboard Fix a small cellphone anamorphic lens onto that  Here's how it went: Find a filter that can be screwed onto the best zoom lens (to avoid cropping) This one was easy. I decided to use the 02 "Standard Zoom" lens for the Pentax Q which has a thread of 40.5mm. And used a Fotasy Pro 1-D as filter. Remove the glass from this filter to keep the ring with the thread That was equal parts fun and dangero